The verdict is in on the RentFair Bill... and it’s a BIG YES from us!
The lawyers have scrutinised the legislation over the weekend and it is a big step forward for the safety, stability and privacy of Victoria’s 1.5 million tenants.
The bill isn't perfect but, it will help shift power back towards tenants seeking a safe and stable home to build their lives in. This Bill legislates, or enables, nearly everything we have been fighting for during this campaign, including:
- Minimum health, safety and efficiency standards
- Recommendations from the Victorian Royal Commission into Family Violence
- Abolishing ‘no reason’ notices to vacate
- Limiting end of fixed-term lease evictions
- The right for tenants to make fair modifications
- The right for tenants to have pets
- Capping bond payments for a large number of rental properties
- Introducing a landlord blacklist
- Ensuring existing safeguards against unfair eviction for vulnerable tenants are maintained
- Strengthening privacy protections for tenants
We need your help!
Now we need to send a very strong message to every member of the Victorian upper house that we need this legislation passed without delay.